Home>>Catholic Relics

Documented reliquary theca with relics from the Veil of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Oval glass-fronted silvered brass reliquary theca housing significant ex velo  (from the veil) relic of the Blessed Virgin Mary.  The relic is affixed to a silk background decorated by gilt paperolle and silver cord ornamentation and identified on a manuscript cedula as Ex Velo B.M.V. (From the Veil of the Blessed Virgin Mary). On the back, the theca is secured with perfectly preserved seal of red Spanish wax bearing an imprint of a coat of arms of Tiberio Borghese (†1792), Archbishop of Siena (1772-1792). It is accompanied by original matching authentics document issued and hand signed by Fr. Borghese in 1791.

According to tradition, the Veil of the Blessed Virgin Mary was worn by the Virgin as she stood at the foot of the Cross. It had been transferred in the early years of the Christianity from Jerusalem to Constantinople when it was presented by the Byzantine Empress Irene to the Holy Roman Emperor Charlemagne. In 876 his descendant Charles the Bald gave the relic to the cathedral at Chartres. The Veil is kept in a golden reliquary beside the high altar and has formed the focus of many traditions throughout the centuries. It was believed to have protected the faithful down through the centuries from many dangers and evils, including famine and war, outbreaks of the plague, and the worst ravishes of the French Revolution. The veil itself is more than six meters long and made of silk. Scientific studies have shown that it is of Syrian design, of fine quality and can be traced to the first century. Every year on 15th August, the Feast of the Assumption of Our Lady, the Veil is processed through the town of Chartres.

Additional Info

  • ID#: 170-RSCR-5
  • Size: 26 x 23 mm
  • Age: ca. 1791
  • Origin: Siena, Italy
  • Materials: silvered brass
  • Price: $5,500
  • Silver
  • Orthodox Cross
0
0
0
s2sdefault