fbpx

small head 4

Home>>Антикварные Мощевики

Серебряный мощевик с частицами от Плащаницы Иисуса Христа (Туринская Плащаница)

An opulent 18th-century Baroque large silver glass-fronted pendant reliquary decorated by intricate open-work filigree scrolls and applied scalloped rosettes containing an oval silver glass-fronted theca housing Passion Relic of the Holy Shroud of Jesus Christ.  The significant interwoven threads of the Shroud are affixed to a gilt paper burst on a red silk background and titled on a manuscript paper cedula label as DE SINDONE Dni Nstri JESU CHRISTI (From the Holy Shroud of Our Lord Jesus Christ). Theca is secured on the back by a perfectly preserved seal of red wax bearing an imprint of the coat of arms of Fr. Pietro Maria Franzesi (†1799), Bishop of Montepulciano (1757-1799).

The Holy Shroud is considered one of the most important relics of Christianity. Its existence has been documented since the 6th century when it was venerated in Edessa, Syria. In 944, it was brought to Constantinople, where it was depicted in the “Codex Pray” and described in the homilies of the Patriarchs and the reports of visitors. In 1204, during the 4th Crusade, it was stolen from its reliquary in the Imperial Palace Chapel by the French knight Othon de la Roche and brought to France via Athens. He sent it to his castle near Besancon, where it was shown in the local Cathedral on Good Friday. Since 1357, it was first venerated in Lirey, Champagne, then in Chambery, and finally brought to Turin, Italy by the Savoy Dynasty in 1598.

In the 18th century, two popes, Clement XII (p. 1730-1740) and Benedict XIV (p. 1740-1758) ordered pieces of the upper left and right edge of the shroud to be clipped to disseminate the resulting fragments as papal gifts. In addition, Savoy tried to use the phenomenal popularity of the Shroud as an object of veneration to achieve the aims of domination in Piedmont, conversion of Turin into a capital of the European autocracy and achievement of international recognition as a ruling house of the royal standing. It is likely that a number of reliquaries containing particles of the Holy Shroud were distributed by the Duke of Savoy Victor Amadeus II († 1732) in the form of gifts aimed at achieving dynastic aspirations of the House of Savoy.

Дополнительная Информация

  • ID#: 214-RSCR-25
  • Размер: 172 x 138 mm
  • Возраст: вторая половина 18-го века
  • Происхождение: Италия
  • Материалы: Серебро, стекло, шелк
  • Цена: ПРОДАНО!
  • Silver
  • Orthodox Cross
0
0
0
s2sdefault

Похожие предметы

Скидка 5% при подписке на получение периодической рассылки с информацией о новых поступлениях, эксклюзивных предложениях и увлекательных материалам по темам нашей специализации. 

Please wait