small head
Home>>Curated Collections>>Arma Christi, Relics of the Instruments of Christ's Passion Collection

Arma Christi, Relics of the Instruments of Christ's Passion Collection

The Passion of Christ is the sum total of events that brought physical and spiritual suffering to Jesus Christ in the last days and hours of his earthly life. A special place among the Passion of Christ is occupied by the events that occurred after the Last Supper: His arrest, judgment, scourging and execution — the culminating moment of the Christ's Passion. Relics of the Passion, also known as Arma Christi, are artefacts from the first century, preserved by the Catholic Church and venerated by Christians of all denominatins.

Reliquary monstrance with 2 relics of the Passion - the True Cross and the Holy Shroud

Elegant 18th century Baroque reliquary monstrance of parcel gilt and whitewashed wood housing two significant relics of ​the Christ's Passion: of the wood from the True Cross and of the material from the Holy Shroud. The relics are displayed in a  grass-fronted cavity located in the center the monstrance and identified on a fancy-cut paper cedula label as  De Ligno + DN  (of the wood [from the True Cross] of Our Lord) and De Sindone DN (of the Shroud of Our Lord). On the back, the cavity is secured by four seals of red wax with a perfectly preserved imprint of a coat of arms of a Catholic Bishop. Fit for a for public veneration.

  • ID# 147-RSCR-25
  • Size 12 1/2 in (32 cm) high
  • Age ca. 18th century
  • Origin Italy
  • Materials gilt wood
  • Price Price upon request
  • Orthodox Cross

Important reliquary with large relics of the True Cross of Jesus Christ

Opulent 18th century Baroque reliquary monstrance of  gilt wood decorated with Arma Christi (Instruments of Passion) and housing very large and important relics from the wood from the True Cross of Jesus ChristThe relics are displayed in a  grass-fronted cruciform cavity located in the center the monstrance and identified on apaper cedula label as  De Ligno S. Crucis DNJC  (of the wood from the Holy Cross  of Our Lord Jesus Christ) . On the back, the cavity is secured by four seals of red wax with a perfectly preserved imprint of a coat of arms of Antonio Paganini, Vicar General to Giuseppe Saporiti (+1767), Archbishop of Genoa (1746-1767). Fit for a for public veneration.

  • ID# 189-RSCR-18
  • Size Reliquary is 37 cm (14 1/2 in) high
  • Age ca. Mid-18th century
  • Origin Italy
  • Materials Gilt wood
  • Price Price upon request
  • Orthodox Cross

Fancy theca with Passion relics of the Holy Shroud of Jesus Christ (Shroud of Turin)

19th century silver crystal-fronted reliquary theca containing significant first class relics of  the Holy Shroud of Jesus Christ also known as the Shroud of Turin.  The theca is surrounded by an intricate ornamentation of silver wire and housed in original box of issue. The relics are affixed to red silk background, surrounded by twisted wire ornamentation, and titled as Ex Linteo Sindone DN[JC] (From the Material of the Shroud of Our Lord Jesus Christ). Theca is secured on the back under a silver cap by a perfectly preserved seal of red Spanish wax bearing an imprint of coat of arms of fr. Tommaso Michele Salzano (†1890), in a capacity of Titular Bishop of Tanis. The reliquary was made during the 4-day public exhibition (ostension) of the Shroud that took part in 1868 to celebrate wedding of prince (who became King of Italy) Umberto I and Margueritte of Savoy. 

  • ID# 89-RSCR-23
  • Size 120 x 105 mm
  • Age ca. 1868, Italy
  • Materials silver
  • Price Price upon request
  • Silver
  • Orthodox Cross

Reliquary monstrance with 3 relics of the Passion of Christ - True Cross, Holy Thorn & Column of Flagellation

Large 18th century reliquary monstrance housing relics of ​the Christ's Passion: of the Wood from the True Cross, of the Holy Thorn from the Crown of Thorns, and of the Column of FlagellationThe relics are displayed in two grass-fronted cavities located in the center and the base of a cruficorm monstrance of gilt wood. They are identified on a paper cedula labels as (top)  Ligno SS. Cruc. D. J. / Columna D. J. ([of] the Wood [from] the Most Holy Cross of Our Lord Jesus Christ / [of] the Column of Flagellation of Our Lord Jesus Christ) and (bottom) as De Spina D. N. J. C. ([of] the Thorn of Our Lord Jesus Christ). On the back, the cavities are secured by four seals of red wax with a perfectly preserved imprint of a coat of arms of Fr. Aloisio Buonamici (†), Bishop of Volterra (1782-1791). Fit for a large place of public veneration. 

  • ID# 143-RSCR-22
  • Size Reliquary: 42 cm / 16 1/2 inches high
  • Age ca. late 18th century, Italy
  • Materials gilt wood
  • Price Price upon request
  • Orthodox Cross

Documented reliquary with Passion relics of the True Cross and Holy Thorn

Large silver glass-fronted reliquary housing substantial Passion Relics of the True Cross and of the Holy Thorn from the Crown of Thorns. The relics are affixed in a cruciform shape to a gold thread backgroundsurrounded by gold and silver threaded ornamentation and titled in 19th century ductus a De Spinea Coronae  D.N.J.C.  / De Ligno SS Crucis D.N.J.C. (From the Holy Thorn of Our Lord Jesus Christ / From the Most Holy Cross of Our Lord Jesus Christ),  Accompanied by a matching ca. 1835 authentics document issued by Cardinal Carlo Oppizzoni († 1855), Archbishop of Bologna (1804-1855). Accoding to the deocument, the background of the reliquary made from the gold of a melted solidus - a gold coin from the reign of the Byzantine Emperor Constantine the Great. 

  • ID# 5-RSMBR-25
  • Size 82 x 71 mm
  • Age ca. 1835
  • Materials silver
  • Price SOLD!
  • Silver
  • Orthodox Cross

Large crystal theca with relics of the True Cross of Jesus Christ in original case

Fancy 18th century double-crystal silver-set reliquary theca housing very large historically important particle relics of ​the True Cross of Jesus ChristThe relics are displayed in cruciform shape under faceted rock crystal glass framed by silver filigree ornamentation. They are identified on a  paper cedula  as D. N. J. C.  ([from the Most Holy Cross of] Our Lord Jesus Christ). The theca is protected by a seal of red wax with a perfectly preserved imprint of a coat of arms of Bishop Nicola Angelo Maria Landini, O.E.S.A. (†1782), Titular Bishop of Parthyrion and Vicar General of the Vatican Curia. The reliquary comes in its original drop-shaped tooled leather case. 

  • ID# 142-RSCR-1
  • Size 92 x 65 mm
  • Age ca. 18th century, Vatican
  • Materials silver, crystal in leather-bound case
  • Price Price upon request
  • Silver
  • Orthodox Cross

Documented reliquary with Passion relic of Column of Flagellation

Opulent Baroque silver glass-fronted pendant reliquary decorated by intricate open-work filigree scrolls and applied rosettes and containing an oval silver crystal-fronted theca housing substantial Passion Relic from the Column of Flagellation of  Jesus Christ. The relic is affixed to the background of  silk surrounded by gold and silver threaded ornamntation and titled in 18th century bi-color ductus a Ex Col(umn)a / Flag(geli)s D(omin)i N[(ost)ri J(esus) C(hristi)  (From the Column of Flagellation of Our Lord Jesus Christ.)  Accompanied by a matching ca. 1788 authentics document issued by Fr. Francesco Saverio Cristiani O.E.S.A. († 1800), Titular Bishop of Porphyreon in a capacity of the Vicar General of the Roman Curia during the pontificate of Pope Pius VI (p. 1775-1799). 

  • ID# 07-RSMB-12
  • Age ca. 1788
  • Materials silver
  • Price Price upon request
  • Silver
  • Orthodox Cross

Rare documented touch relic of the Holy Lance of Jesus Christ - the Spear of Destiny

Incredibly rare touch relic made from the silver object that touched the most powerful and mysterius Passion relic - The Holy Spear of Jesus also known as the True LanceThe reliquary is affixed to the original  authentics document dated 1758 and issued and hand-signed by Fr. Nicola Manciforte (†1762), Bishop of Ancona. 

The document written in Latin translates as:

"...that this silver tip of a Lance, tied to this [letter] with a ribbon of red color, and secured with a small Seal of ours impressed in Spanish Wax, touched the Very Sacred Point of the Lance with which the Side of the Savior was pierced while he was hanging on the Cross; that it exists amongst the rest of the quite famous Relics, by the possession of which our Church was distinguished as the Catheral of St. Cyriacus; and that it rouses and fosters the piety of the Faithful wondrously well, and draws them to itself...."

The Holy Spear is also known as the Holy Lance is the name of the very spear that had pierced Christ’s side when he hanged on the cross. The first person to refer this as the Holy Spear was pilgrim Antoninus of Piacenza in 570 AD. While describing the holy places of Jerusalem, he said that in the Basilica of Mount Zion, there was the crown of thorns which Our Lord was crowned and the spear which was used to strike Him in the side. It was rediscovered by the European army of the First Crusade in the city of Antioch on June 15th, 1098, but eventually ended up in the treasury of Constantinople. It is documented, that the holy relic of the True Lance passed though Ancona (an Italian city on the Adriatic side of the Peninsula), in 1492 on its way from Bayezid II the Turkish Sultan (whose father obtainied it in 1451 during the conquest of Constantinople) to Pope Innocent VIII by the hand of Pierre d'Abusson, Grand Master of the knights of Rhodes. The Pope placed it the Treasury of the old St. Peter's Basilica in Rome with the volto santo where it is held in great veneration. It is now in one of great piers of the present St. Peter's Cathedral and in front of it, over the image of Longinus is inscribed "The Spear of Longinus, which Innocent VIII, the Chief Pointif received from Bayezid Sultan of the Turks; Urban VIII transferred it to a decorated shrinerasing an image and erecting the shrine beneath." (see for more information: Relics from the Crucifixion: Where They Went and How They Got There. By J. Charles Wall.)

Since there are no records of the Cathedral of Ancona retaining a part of the True Lance when it was passing though the town on its way to Rome, it is believed that the offered relic was obtained by melting a larger silver object that touched the tip of the True Lance in 1492. A number of analogous documented reliquaries are known, but their number is exteremely small and they are in a very high demand because of impossibility of making new touch relics from the True Lance held in the Vatican after it was transferred to the pier of St. Peter's basilica in the 17th century.

  • ID# 129-RSCR-125
  • Age ca. 1758
  • Materials silver
  • Price Price upon request
  • Silver
  • Orthodox Cross

Documented reliquary with relics of the True Cross of Jesus Christ

Substantial oval glass-fronted silvered metal reliquary theca housing relics from the Holy Wood of the True Cross of Jesus Christ. The relics are affixed to a red silk background in a cruciform shape and identified on a paper cedula in the upper part as D.N.J.C. (Domini Nostri Jesus Christi  - Our Lord Jesus Christ)On the back, under protective cap, the theca is protected by a seal of red wax with a clear imprint of a coat of arms of fr. Giovanni Tommaso Neuschel (†) in a capacity of Bishop of Parma (1843 - 1852)The reliquary is accompanied by a matching authentics document issued and signed by fr. Neuschel in 1845. 

  • ID# 15-RSMB-125
  • Size 46 x 36 mm
  • Age ca. 1845, Parma, Italy
  • Price $6,750
  • Orthodox Cross

Monstrance reliquary with relic of the True Cross of Jesus Christ

Elaborate Baroque 18th century monstrance of gilt wood with crossed Arma Christi surmounted by carved wooden canopy containing oval silver glass-fronted theca housing relic of the Passion of Jesus Christ: particles of the Wood from the True Cross. The relics are mounted in cruciform shape on a background of red silk and surrounded by gold burst and twisted silver wire decoration. They are identified on elaborately cut out paper cedula  as Ex Lingo SS-mae Crucis D.N.J.C. (From the wood of the Most Precious Cross of Our Lord Jesus Christ). The theca is authenticated on the back with perfectly preserved red wax seal of Francesco Gaetano Incontri (†1781), the Archbishop of Florence (p. 1741-1781). 

  • ID# 122-LCD-12
  • Size Monstrance: 42 x 17 cm
  • Age ca. third quarter of the 18th century, Italy
  • Materials gilt wood monstrance and silver theca
  • Price Price upon request
  • Silver
  • Orthodox Cross

Reliquary theca with 9 relics of Arma Christi - the Passion of the Christ (True Cross, Cradle, Sudarium, Table of the Last Supper, Thorn, Purple Robe)

Oval silver glass-fronted theca housing nine precios relics of the Passion of Jesus Christ: Of the True Cross, of the Holy Cradle, of the Holy Robe, of Holy Sudarium (Sweat Cloth), of the Column of Flagellation, of the Table of the Last Supper, of the Thorn from the Crown of Thorns, of the Seamless Coat, and of the Purple Robe.  The relics are mounted on a background of red silk and surrounded by gold paperolles. They are identified on a paper cedula inscribed as Ex Cruce J.C.D.N., ex incunab, ex fune , ex sudario, ex columna, ex mensa, ex spinae cor. , ex veste, ex purpurae. The theca is authenticated on the back with perfectly preserved red wax seal of Fr. Gherardo Antonio Volpi, Bishop of Nocera de’ Pagani (1744-1768). Comes in original tooled brown leather case of issue. 

 

 

  • ID# 123-LCR-9
  • Size 50 x 45 mm
  • Age ca. 19th century, Italy
  • Price Price upon request
  • Silver
  • Orthodox Cross

Crystal theca with relics of the True Cross of Jesus Christ

Attractive 18th century double-crystal silver-set reliquary theca-pendant with particle relics of ​the True Cross of Jesus ChristThe relics are displayed in cruciform shape under high-faceted rock crystal glass framed by silver filigree ornamentation. They are identified on a paper cedula  as Ex SS. C. / D. N. J. C.  ([from] the Most Holy Cross of Our Lord Jesus Christ). The theca is protected by a seal of red wax with a perfectly preserved imprint of a coat of arms of Fr. Enrique Laso de la Vega Titular Bishop of Thaumacus (from 1728)

  • ID# 140-RSCR-6
  • Size 42 x 34 mm
  • Age ca. 18th century, Italy
  • Materials silver, rock crystal
  • Price $3,500
  • Silver
  • Orthodox Cross

Theca with Passion relics of the Holy Shroud of Jesus Christ (Shroud of Turin)

Rare and important 18th century silver crystal-fronted theca containing significant threads from the Holy Shroud of Jesus Christ also known as the Shroud of Turin. The relics are affixed to the silk background, surrounded by paperole ornamentation, and titled in 18th century ductus as De Sindone DN[JC ](from the Shroud of Our Lord Jesus Christ). Theca is secured on the back by a perfectly preserved seal of red Spanish wax bearing an imprint of coat of arms of Italian Bishop.


The Holy Shroud is considered one of the most important relics of Christianity. Its existence has been documented since the 6th century, when it was venerated in Edessa, Syria. In 944, it was brought to Constantinople, where it was depicted in the “Codex Pray” and described in the homilies of the Patriarchs and the reports of visitors. In 1204, during the 4th Crusade, it was stolen from its reliquary in the Imperial Palace Chapel by the French knight Othon de la Roche and brought to France via Athens. He sent it to his castle near Besancon, where it was shown in the local Cathedral on Good Friday. Since 1357, it was first venerated in Lirey, Champagne, then in Chambery, and finally brought to Turin, Italy by the Savoy Dynasty in 1598.

In the 18th century, two popes, Clement XII (p. 1730-1740) and Benedict XIV (p. 1740-1758), ordered pieces of the upper left and right edge of the shroud to be clipped to disseminate the resulting fragments as papal gifts. In addition, Savoy tried to use the phenomenal popularity of the Shroud as an object of veneration to achieve the aims of domination in Piedmont, conversion of Turin into a capital of the European autocracy and achivement of international recognition as a ruling house of the royal standing. It is likely that a number of reliquaries containing particles of the Holy Shroud were distributed by the Duke of Savoy Victor Amadeus II († 1732) in the form of gifts aimed at achieving dynastic aspirations of the House of Savoy.

  • ID# 82-RSCR-11
  • Size 34 x 32 mm
  • Age ca. 18th century, Italy
  • Price $5,500
  • Silver
  • Orthodox Cross

Reliquary theca with relics of Arma Christi - the Passion of the Christ (Sponge, Thorn, and Purple Robe)

Egg-shaped silver glass-fronted theca housing relics of the Passion of Jesus Christ: Of the Holy Sponge, Of the Thorn from the Crown of Thorns and of the Purple Robe. The relics are mounted on a background of red silk and surrounded by paperolles and gilt paper ornamentation. They are identified on a paper cedula inscribed in bi-color dictus as DNJC (Our Lord Jesus Christ) / De Spongia (of [Holy] Sponge) / De Spin[a] Cor[onae] (of the Holy Thorn from the Crown of Thorns) / De Purpurae (of the Purple [Robe]). The theca is authenticated on the back with perfectly preserved red wax seal of Fr. Francesco Gaetano Incontri, Archbishop of Florence (p. 1741-1781).

  • ID# 125-LCR-8
  • Size 50 x 40 mm
  • Age ca. mid-18th century, Florence, Italy
  • Materials silver
  • Price $3,750
  • Silver
  • Orthodox Cross

Attractive 19th Century Reliquary with relics of the Christ's Passion, Sepulture of Mary and Selected Saints

Attractive multiple relic reliquary, centered on the Holy Sepulchre and the Manger of Our Lord. Mounted against a red silk background, ornamented with gold and silver devices, and housed in a sealed, cast bronze reliquary theca further decorated with an inner ring of silver braid.

  • ID# 64-DDR-6
  • Age ca. 19th century
  • Price $2,750
  • Orthodox Cross

Reliquary with Passion relic of the Holy Rope of Jesus Christ

Oval silver crystal-fronted reliquary decorated on the outside with twisted wire housing rarely seen Passion relic of the Holy Rope of Jesus Christ.  The relics are surrounded by paperole ornamentation and titled on a paper cedula in 18th century ductus as De Fune D.N.J.C. The theca is protected on the back with perfectly preserved seal of Italian bishop. 

  • ID# 81-RSSR-56
  • Size 25 x 28 mm
  • Age ca. 18th century, Italy
  • Price $2,600
  • Silver
  • Orthodox Cross

Reliquary theca with Passion relic from the Column of Flagellation of Jesus Christ

Brass glass-fronted oval reliquary theca housing major relic of the Passion - particle from the Column of Flagellation of Jesus Christ. The relic is identified with paper cedula inscribed in 19th century ductus as Ex Columna Flahellat DNJC (from the Column of Flagellation of Our Lord Jesus Christ). The reliquary is secured by perfectly preserved seal of red Spanish wax with coat of arms of Luigi Fransoni († 1862) Archbishop of Turin (1832-1862).

  • ID# 15-DDCR-2 *
  • Age ca.1850's, Italy
  • Materials Egg tempera on gessoed wood
  • Price $800
  • Orthodox Cross

The web site showing only a sample of our entire inventory, if you don't see what you are looking for, please contact us.

guarantee seal

Learn about our Unconditional Lifetime Guarantee and No Questions Asked 30-day return policy.