fbpx

small head 4

Home>>Curated Collections>>The Easter Collection

The Easter Collection

Orthodox Christians celebrate Jesus’ resurrection on Easter Sunday. The day is also known as Pascha, Easter and Easter Day. The Orthodox Christian date for Easter Sunday often occurs at a later date than the Easter date observed by many western churches. In 2020 - the Orthodox Easter falls on April 19.

Spectacular theca with first-class relic of St. John the Chrysostom, Doctor of the Church

Spectacular large silver crystal-fronted reliquary decorated with intricate filigree wire floral ornamentation and housing significant historically important first-class ex ossibus (of the bone) relic of Saint John Chrysostom Substantial relic is affixed to the background of multicolored silk surrounded by paperole ornamentation and identified on a paper cedula label as S. Iohanes Criso[stomus]. On the back, over a protective pane of glass, the theca is secured with a perfectly preserved seal of red Spanish wax bearing an imprint with a coat of arms of an unidentified Catholic Bishop.

  • ID# 08-RSSR-22
  • Size 165 x 130 mm (5 x 6 1/2 in)
  • Age ca. 18th century
  • Origin Italy
  • Materials silver, crystal
  • Price Price upon request
  • Silver
  • Orthodox Cross

Reliquary with relics of Saints Cosmas & Damian, Unmercenary Healers, Patrons of Doctors

18th-century angel-form reliquary made of painted and gilded wood with front glass panel housing significant first-class ex ossibus (of the bone) relics of two Unmercenary healers: Saints Cosmas and Damian. The relics are affixed to a red silk background and identified on paper cedulae labels in as S. Cosmae Mart. / S Damiani Mart. (Saint Cosmas Martyr / Saint Damian Martyr). On the back, the reliquary is protected by a crisscrossed silk ribbon held in place by four seals of red Spanish wax with clear imprints of a coat of arms of an unidentified Catholic Bishop. The reliquary has damage on the left side where the arm is partially missing. 

  • ID# 206-RSCR-2
  • Size 16 1/2 in (42 cm high)
  • Age ca. 18th century
  • Origin Italy
  • Materials wood, glass
  • Price Price upon request
  • Orthodox Cross

Important reliquary with large relics of the True Cross of Jesus Christ

Opulent 18th-century Baroque reliquary monstrance of gilt wood decorated with Arma Christi (Instruments of Passion) and housing very large and important relics from the wood from the True Cross of Jesus ChristThe relics are displayed in a  glass-fronted cruciform cavity located in the center the monstrance and identified on a paper cedula label as  De Ligno S. Crucis DNJC  (of the wood from the Holy Cross of Our Lord Jesus Christ). On the back, the cavity is secured by four seals of red wax with a perfectly preserved imprint of a coat of arms of Antonio Paganini, Vicar General to Giuseppe Saporiti (+1767), Archbishop of Genoa (1746-1767). Fit for a for public veneration.

  • ID# 189-RSCR-18
  • Size Reliquary is 37 cm (14 1/2 in) high
  • Age ca. Mid-18th century
  • Origin Italy
  • Materials Gilt wood
  • Price Price upon request
  • Orthodox Cross

Reliquary Bust with Relics of St. John the Warrior, Martyr

ca. 1600 life-size bust-form reliquary made of painted wood housing very large historically important first-class ex ossibus (of the bone) relic of Saint John the Warrior. The relic is affixed inside of an oval glass-fronted opening and identified on paper cedula label in as S. Ioanis M. (Saint John, Martyr). The saint's name is also inscribed on the base of the bust. The saint is depicted wearing the unique helmet that was made for Guidobaldo II, Duke of Urbino, indicating that the reliquary most likely came from the church in Fossombrone, Italy built around 1609 by Francesco Maria II della Rovere, the last Duke of Urbino and son of Guidobaldo II.

  • ID# 203-RSCR-3
  • Size 22 in (56 cm) high
  • Age ca. 1600
  • Origin Fossombrone, Italy
  • Materials wood, glass
  • Price Price upon request
  • Silver
  • Orthodox Cross

Documented reliquary with important relic from the Wood of the True Cross of Jesus

Spectacular Baroque glass-fronted silver reliquary decorated with silver filigree wire ornamentation and housing significant relic from the Wood of the True Cross of Jesus Christ. The substantial relic is affixed to a light blue silk background decorated with elaborate gilt paperolle. On the back, under a protective cap, the theca is secured with a perfectly preserved seal of red Spanish wax bearing an imprint of a coat of arms of Fr. Giuseppe Bartolomeo Menocchio, O.E.S.A. (1741- 1823), Titular Bishop of Porphyreon and Sacristan of His Holiness Pope Pius VII. The relic is accompanied by the original matching authentics document issued and signed by Fr. Menocchio in 1807. This item is suitable for both private and public veneration by any Christian denomination. 

  • ID# 197-RSCR-23
  • Size 100 x 70 mm
  • Age ca. 1807
  • Origin Vatican
  • Materials silver
  • Price Price upon request
  • Silver
  • Orthodox Cross

Spectacular theca with first-class relic of St. Christopher, Patron of Travelers

Spectacular large silver crystal-fronted reliquary decorated with opulent floral ornamentation and housing significant first-class ex ossibus (of the bone) relic of Saint Christopher Substantial relic is affixed to the background of red silk decorated with paperole ornamentation and identified on a paper cedula label as S. Christopha/ri M. (St. Christopher, Martyr). On the back, the theca is secured with a perfectly preserved seal of red Spanish wax bearing a faint imprint with a coat of arms of an unidentified Catholic Bishop.

  • ID# 09-RSSR-22
  • Size 190 x 120 mm (7 1/2 x 5 in)
  • Age ca. 1820s
  • Origin Italy
  • Materials silver, glass
  • Price Price upon request
  • Silver
  • Orthodox Cross

Important reliquary theca with relics of St Valentine of Rome, Patron of the Courtly Love

Attractive large oval glass-fronted brass reliquary theca housing significant and important relic of Saint Valentine of Rome, Bishop and Martyr. Very large (3 cm or 1  1/4 inches long) first-class ex ossibus (of the bone) relic is affixed on a background richly decorated with gilt paper and silk flowers and identified in a fancy cut paper cedula label as Ex Oss S. Valentini Mart. (Of the bone of Saint Valentine, Martyr). On the back, the theca is secured by a seal of red Spanish wax with an imprint of a coat of arms of Cardinal Bernardino (†1807), the Archbishop of Senigallia and an important official of the Vatican Curia. 

  • ID# 196-RSCR-12
  • Size 160 x 130 mm (6 1/4 x 5 1/4 in)
  • Age ca. 1790s
  • Origin Italy
  • Price Price upon request
  • Orthodox Cross

Russian Icon - the Severed Head of St. John the Baptist in gilt silver cover

Spectacular Russian Orthodox icon depicting the Severed Head of St. John the Baptist resting on a platter. An 18th-century central panel was embellished in 1803 by adding borders depicting parents of St. John the Baptist - St. Zechariah and St. Elisabeth and by covering the icon in an elaborate gilt silver cover with the halo further decorated with glass crystals. The inscription on the bottom part of the icon is the Orthodox hymn sung during liturgy dedicated to the Beheading of St. John. The icon's cover is stamped with a hallmark of a silversmith Yegor Antipiev in Moscow and 1803 date. 

  • ID# 09-RSMI-3
  • Size 13 1/2 x 11 in (34 x 28 cm)
  • Age Central panel - 18th century, borders and metal cover - ca. 1803
  • Origin Moscow, Russia
  • Materials Egg tempera and gilding on gessoed wood in gilt silver revetment cover
  • Price Price upon request
  • Silver
  • Orthodox Cross

Spectacular theca with first-class relics of St. Jerome, Doctor of the Church

Opulent large Baroque parcel-gilt silver reliquary decorated by intricate flowers and an image of the Holy Spirit as a dove under a crown and containing an oval silver crystal-fronted theca housing a substantial first-class relic of Saint Jerome, Doctor of the Church. The relics affixed to the background of multicolored silk surrounded by paperolle ornamentation and identified on a paper cedula label as  Ex Praecordis / S. Hieronymi / P. E. D. (from the inner parts of St. Jerome, Priest, Hermit, and Doctor of the Church). The reliquary is secured on the back with a perfectly preserved seal of an unidentified Bishop.

  • ID# 06-RSSR-12
  • Size 7 x 4 3/4 in (17.5 х 12 cm)
  • Age ca. 18th century
  • Origin Italy
  • Materials silver, crystal
  • Price Price upon request
  • Silver
  • Orthodox Cross

Important Holy Mount Athos Russian Icon of Axion Estin Mother of God

The depiction is based on the image of the miracleworking icon Axion Estin ("It Is Truly Meet") Mother of God in the main church of Karyes on Holy Mount Athos considered the protector of the Holy Mountain and its holiest object. Crowned Theotokos is flanked by full-figured descriptions of St. Panteleimon, the Holy Patron of Russian St. Panteleimon Monastery on Mount Athos and St. Eudokia of Heliopolis. On the back, the icon has a stamp of blessing from the Russian St. Panteleimon Monastery on Holy Mount Athos and a handwritten inscription with a dedication from hieromonk Flegont to his Goddaughter Eudoka, dated 1910.  

Provenance: Sotheby's New York 1993

  • ID# 10-RSMIS-42
  • Size 10 1/2 x 8 3/4 in (27 x 22 cm)
  • Age ca. 1910
  • Origin Holy Mount Athos
  • Materials Egg tempera and gilding on gessoed wood in gilt silver revetment cover
  • Price Price upon request
  • Orthodox Cross

Large Russian Staurotheke Icon with Brass Cross and Icons

Large fully gilt staurotheke / iconotheke icon from the Ural mountains school depicting (painted top) Saint Charalambos, Saint Nicholas, and Saint Blaise. Near the cross: Saint Mary and Saint Martha, Mother of God; Saint John and Saint Longinus. Bronzes: a Crucifix cross, (two of) Joy to All Who Sorrow Mother of God, Our Lady of Tikhvin, and Saint George. Five selected border saints.

 

  • ID# 01-CZ38-25
  • Size 21 1/4 in x 18 1/2 in (54 cm x 47 cm)
  • Age ca. 1890, Navyansk school, Old Believer's workshop
  • Materials Egg tempera on gilt and gessoed wood with brass inserts
  • Price Price upon request

Large crystal theca with relics of the True Cross of Jesus Christ in original case

Fancy 18th-century double-crystal silver-set reliquary theca housing very large historically important particle relics of the True Cross of Jesus ChristThe relics are displayed in cruciform shape under faceted rock crystal glass framed by silver filigree ornamentation. They are identified on a  paper cedula  as D. N. J. C.  ([from the Most Holy Cross of] Our Lord Jesus Christ). The theca is protected by a seal of red wax with a perfectly preserved imprint of a coat of arms of Bishop Nicola Angelo Maria Landini, O.E.S.A. (†1782), Titular Bishop of Parthyrion and Vicar General of the Vatican Curia. The reliquary comes in its original drop-shaped tooled leather case. 

  • ID# 142-RSCR-1
  • Size 92 x 65 mm
  • Age ca. 18th century, Vatican
  • Materials silver, crystal in leather-bound case
  • Price Price upon request
  • Silver
  • Orthodox Cross

Fancy reliquary theca with relics of the True Cross of Jesus Christ

Historically important large mid- 18th-century ornate brass reliquary theca housing on the background of red silk significant relics of The True Cross of Jesus Christ. The relics are arranged in a cruciform shape and titled on ornate paper cedula as Ex Cruce D. N. J. C. (Of the Cross of Our Lord Jesus Christ). The back of the theca behind the metal cap is secured by a seal of red Spanish wax with a coat of arms of Monsignor Giovanni Antonio Guadagni (+1759), cardinal vicar general of Rome (1732 - 1756) who was himself beatified as Servant of God under Pope Pius XII.

  • ID# 69-RSCR-55
  • Size 120 x 85 mm
  • Age ca. late 18th century, ca. 1800
  • Materials Brass
  • Price $5,750
  • Orthodox Cross

Fine Russian Icon - The Dormition of the Most Holy Mother of God

Fine Russian Orthodox icon depicting The Dormition of the Most Holy Mother of God, Great Feast of the Eastern Orthodox Church (corresponding to the Western feast of the Assumption) which commemorates the "falling asleep" or death of the Mother of God, and her bodily resurrection before being taken up into Heaven. The Theotokos is depicted lying on a bier, surrounded by the twelve Apostles. At center, Jesus Christ is shown in a golden mandorla, swaddling the soul of the Virgin Mary. To either side of him are depicted the Hieromartyrs Dionysius the Areopagite and Ignatius the God-Bearer who, according to sacred tradition, are responsible for transmitting the account of the dormition. The buildings on the background represent Mary's house and the Temple of Jerusalem. On the lower center the assault of the High Priest is depicted in which the Jewish priest's hands were cut off by the Archangel Michael after he unsuccessfully tried to overturn Mary's brier.

  • ID# 881-RSHI-12
  • Size 12 1/4 in x 10 1/4 in (31 x 26 cm)
  • Age ca. 1800
  • Origin Vladimir region, possibly icon painting village of Mstyora
  • Materials Egg tempera on gessoed wood
  • Price Price upon request
  • Orthodox Cross

Russian Icon - Saint Paraskevi of Iconium, Patron of the Holy Matrimony

Saint Paraskevi of Iconium (also known as Paraskeva Pyatnitsa) is venerated as a Christian virgin martyr. Her parents were Christian, and Paraskevi was named as such (the name means “Friday” in Greek) because she was baptized on a Friday and because Friday was the day of Christ's Passion. She became a preacher, and according to tradition, converted Emperor Antoninus Pius to Christianity, but, subsequently martyred at Iconium during the persecutions of Diocletian. Saint Paraskevi-Pyatnitsa developed a personality and functions of her own on the Russian soil. She is traditionally depicted as an ascetic figure wearing the red of martyrdom.

Paraskevi is depicted holding an Eastern cross in one hand and a scroll with the words from the Nicene Creed professing her faith in another while being crowned with the crown of Martyrdom by two angels. In Russia, Paraskeva-Pyatnitsa is the Holy patroness of traders and fairs, and of the Holy Matrimony.

  • ID# 533-RSHG-125
  • Size 12 x 10 in (30 x 25 cm)
  • Age ca. 18th century
  • Materials Egg tempera and gilding on gessoed wood
  • Price $3,750
  • Orthodox Cross

Fine Russian Icon - Our Lady of Tikhvin

Our Lady of Tikhvin (Tikhvinskaya) is one of the most celebrated and beautiful wonderworking icons of the Mother of God. Traditionally, it is said to be one of the icons painted by Saint Luke the Evangelist and is a contemporary of the Mother of God herself. The appearance of the icon is celebrated on June 26. The icon has a long history. During the Soviet oppression of the Orthodox Church, the original Theotokos of Tikhvin icon was brought to the USA for safekeeping. In 2004 it was transferred back to Russia to return to its home village of Tikhvin. In the iconographic sense, it is a Hodigitria type with the slightly inclined position of the Mother of God toward the Infant, Who is depicted on the left side of the image. The hand of the Mother of God is raised toward her breast as a sign of silent worship of her Son.

  • ID# 384-RSHI-5
  • Size 12 1/4 in x 10 1/4 in (31 x 26 cm)
  • Age ca. 1850s
  • Origin Russia
  • Materials Egg tempera on gilt and gessoed wood
  • Price Price upon request
  • Orthodox Cross

Fine Russian Icon - The Beheading of St John the Baptist

Fine Russian Orthodox icon representing the Beheading of Saint John the Baptist, known in Russia as "Saint John the Forerunner". He is the forerunner of Christ, the last of the Old Testament prophets, and the first Christian saint.  A popular and much venerated figure in Orthodox iconography, Saint John was beheaded under the order of King Herod who wished to please Salome, daughter of the king's lover Herodias, whom the Baptist had reproached for her adultery. On the left side, St. John is depicting in prison surrounded by a sharp palisade,in the middle - John bends under the mortal blow dealt by his tormentor, and on the right side - the severed head is delivered to Salome. A tree with an axe recalls the words of John's own prophecy: "Even now the axe is laid to the root of the trees." (Luke 3:9)

Three border saints are the Guardian Angel, St. Basil the Great, and St. Venerable Martha, mother of Saint Simeon Stylites.

 

  • ID# 1024-RSHI-6
  • Size 14 x 12 1/2 in (35.5 x 31.5 cm)
  • Age ca. 2nd half of the 19th century
  • Origin Central Russia
  • Materials Egg tempera on gessoed wood
  • Price $3,500
  • Orthodox Cross

Russian Icon - Presentation of Child Christ to the Temple in silver basma

Russian Orthodox icon depicting the Presentation of Christ to the Temple - one of the major Orthodox Feasts celebrating Christ's encounter with humanity. . The scene is taking place inside the sanctuarity, where St. Simeon greets Mary, embraces the Child amd prothesies about both: "Jesus will die on the cross and Mary, too, shall have her soul pierced by a sword (Luke 2:34 - 35). The elderly Anna and St. Joseph are pictured standing behind the Mother of God.

  • ID# 708-RSHI-65
  • Size 8 1/4 in x 7 in (21 x 18 cm)
  • Age ca. late 18th century
  • Origin Russia
  • Materials Tempera on wood panel. The border overlaid with a silver basma.
  • Price $2,500
  • Silver
  • Orthodox Cross

Russian Icon - 3 Saints: Martyrs Mary, Alexander & Alexandra

The icon is depicting theree Christian Martyrs - St. Mary Virgin, St. Alexander of Rome, and St. Queen Alexandra. The iscription on the back dated 1912 indicates a gift from the nuns to their mother superior. 

  • ID# 160-009-176-SP7-7
  • Size 13 3/4 x 12 1/4 in (35 x 31 cm)
  • Age ca. 1910s
  • Materials Egg tempera on gilt, tooled and gessoed wood
  • Price $2,250
  • Orthodox Cross

Russian Icon - The Old Testament Trinity (Hospitality of Abraham)

The Old Testament Trinity icon depicts the story of three angels who visited Abraham (Genesis 18:1–8), but the painting is full of symbolism and is generally interpreted as an icon of the Holy Christian Trinity, "one God in three persons" – the Father, the Son (Jesus Christ), and the Holy Spirit. The Three Messengers are depicted in the center as winged angels sitting around a hospitable table being served by Abraham and Sarah pictured on the left. On the background the Abraham’s house is pictured and the Oak of Mamre.

  • ID# 191-045-082-SP7-7
  • Size 11 3/4 x 10 1/4 in (30 x 26 cm)
  • Age ca. 1890
  • Materials Egg tempera on gilt, tooled, and gessoed wood
  • Price SOLD!
  • Orthodox Cross

Russian Icon - Christ Pantocrator in gilt brass cover

Christ Pantocrator refers to a specific depiction of Christ. The most common translation of Pantocrator is "Almighty" or "All-powerful". In this understanding, Pantocrator is a compound word formed from the Greek words for "all" and the noun "strength" (κρατος). This is often understood in terms of potential power; i.e., ability to do anything, omnipotence. The iconic image of Christ Pantocrator was one of the first images of Christ developed in the Early Christian Church and remains a central icon of the Eastern Orthodox Church. In the half-length image, Christ holds the Gospels in his left hand and makes the gesture of blessing with his right.

  • ID# 173-027-049-SP6-12
  • Size 12 1/4 x 10 1/2 in (31 x 27 cm)
  • Age ca. 1900
  • Materials Oil on gessoed wood in gilt brass cover
  • Price $1,200
  • Orthodox Cross

Holy Land Pilgrim Icon - the Resurrection of Jesus

The icon is executed on the gold grtound depicting the Savior, blessing with one hand and holding a pendant with an image of a cross in the other, soaring above the empty Tomb with two angels below him. The inscription in Old Slavonic is quoted from the Paschal Troparion - an Orthodox hymn sung during the Easter Orthodox Service: "When you descended to death, O Life Immortal, You slew Hades with the splendor of Your God-Head!"

  • ID# 861-RSHI-3
  • Size 10 1/2 x 8 3/4 in (26.8 x 22.3 cm)
  • Age ca. 19th century
  • Origin Jerusalem, Holy Land
  • Materials Oil and lacquer on gilt and gessoed wood
  • Price $1,200
  • Orthodox Cross

Russian Icon - St. Theodora Martyr and St. Gabriel the Archangel

St. Theodora Martyr and St. Gabriel the Archangel are depicted full figured standing under the miracleworking icon of Our Lady of Kazan.

  • ID# 220-095-097-SP6-115
  • Size 17 3/4 x 14 1/4 in (45 x 36)
  • Age ca. 1900
  • Materials Oil on gessoed wood
  • Price $1,000
  • Orthodox Cross

Russian Icon - Descent of Christ into Hades

Icon of the Descent into Hades from the festival row of the iconostasis, Northern Russia, ca. 1650- 1700.

Condition: Extensive craquelure with paint shrinkage or lifting, inpainting, some small losses

  • ID# 54-75-SSI-8
  • Size 20 1/2 x 15 1/2 in. (51.7 x 39.5 cm)
  • Age ca. 1650- 1700
  • Origin Northern Russia
  • Materials Egg tempera on gessoed wood
  • Price Price upon request
  • Orthodox Cross

Reliquary with relics of Saint Agatha, Virgin & Martyr of Sicily

18th-century human-form reliquary made of painted and gilded wood housing significant first-class ex ossibus (of the bone) relic of Saint Agatha of Sicily. The relic is affixed inside of an oval glass-fronted opening and identified on paper cedula label in as S. Agathae V. M. (Saint Agatha, Virgin and Martyr). On the back, the reliquary is protected by two seals of red Spanish wax with clear imprints of a coat of arms of Father Francesco Saverio Cristiani O.E.S.A. (†1800), Titular Bishop of Porphyreon and the Sacristan to the Holy See (1782 - 1800). 

  • ID# 205-RSCR-2
  • Size 47 in (18.5 cm)
  • Age ca. late 18th century, base is 19th century
  • Origin Italy
  • Materials Gilded wood, glass
  • Price Price upon request
  • Silver
  • Orthodox Cross

Reliquary monstrance with 3 relics of the Passion of Christ - True Cross, Holy Thorn & Column of Flagellation

Large 18th-century reliquary monstrance housing relics of Christ's Passion: of the Wood from the True Cross, of the Holy Thorn from the Crown of Thorns, and of the Column of FlagellationThe relics are displayed in two grass-fronted cavities located in the center and the base of a cruciform monstrance of gilt wood. They are identified on a paper cedula labels as (top)  Ligno SS. Cruc. D. J. / Columna D. J. ([of] the Wood [from] the Most Holy Cross of Our Lord Jesus Christ / [of] the Column of Flagellation of Our Lord Jesus Christ) and (bottom) as De Spina D. N. J. C. ([of] the Thorn of Our Lord Jesus Christ). On the back, the cavities are secured by four seals of red wax with a perfectly preserved imprint of a coat of arms of Fr. Aloisio Buonamici (†), Bishop of Volterra (1782-1791). Fit for a large place of public veneration. 

  • ID# 143-RSCR-22
  • Size Reliquary: 42 cm / 16 1/2 inches high
  • Age ca. late 18th century, Italy
  • Materials gilt wood
  • Price Price upon request
  • Orthodox Cross

Monstrance reliquary with relic of the True Cross of Jesus Christ

Elaborate Baroque 18th-century monstrance of gilt wood with crossed Arma Christi surmounted by carved wooden canopy containing oval silver glass-fronted theca housing relic of the Passion of Jesus Christ: particles of the Wood from the True Cross. The relics are mounted in cruciform shape on a background of red silk and surrounded by gold burst and twisted silver wire decoration. They are identified on elaborately cut out paper cedula label as Ex Lingo SS-mae Crucis D.N.J.C. (From the wood of the Most Precious Cross of Our Lord Jesus Christ). The theca is authenticated on the back with perfectly preserved red wax seal of Francesco Gaetano Incontri (†1781), the Archbishop of Florence (p. 1741-1781). 

  • ID# 122-LCD-12
  • Size Monstrance: 42 x 17 cm
  • Age ca. third quarter of the 18th century, Italy
  • Materials gilt wood monstrance and silver theca
  • Price Price upon request
  • Silver
  • Orthodox Cross

Fancy silver theca with relics of the True Cross and Apostles of Christ

18th-century oval silver double-crystral reliquary theca decorated on the top with a bow-shaped silver wire ornamentation and housing relics of Twelve Apostles of Christ centered around the relic of the True Cross. The relics are affixed to a gold silk background decorated with gilt paperolle, silver wire, and floral ornamentation and identified on manuscript cedulae labels as St. Peter the Apostle, St. Paul the Apostle, St. Andrew the Apostle, St. James the Great the Apostle, St. Philip the Apostle, St. [Jude] Thaddeus the Apostle, St. Matthew the Apostle, St. Bartholomew the Apostle, St. Matthias the Apostle, St. Simon the Apostle, St. James [the Less] the Apostle, and St. Thomas the ApostleOn the back, the theca is secured with a well-preserved seal of red Spanish wax bearing an imprint of an unidentified Roman Catholic Bishop.

  • ID# 03-RSSR-1
  • Size 110 x 67 mm
  • Age ca. 18th century
  • Origin Italy
  • Materials silver, crystal
  • Price Price upon request
  • Silver
  • Orthodox Cross

Russian icon - The Resurrection of Christ

A large icon of the Resurrection depicting Risen Christ with two Angels painted on a gilded panel with engraved and carved borders and halo decorated in imitation of gilded silver and enamel oklad and halo. Central Russia, late 19th/20th century.

  • ID# 35-51-SSI-1
  • Size 28 x 22 in. (71.1 x 55.9 cm)
  • Age ca. Late 19th/early 20th century
  • Origin Russia
  • Materials Wood panel, egg tempera, gesso, ochre, gilding
  • Price Price upon request
  • Orthodox Cross

Icon - The Resurrection and Descent to Hades (Anastasis)

The icon is depicting Anastasis - Scenes of Christ's Resurrection and Descent to the Hades painted in traditional style. The reverse of the panel with red painted inscription in Russian reading: "This icon was restored with zeal at the request of Vitaly Nikolaevich Fal'kovsky, by the icon painter Alexander Sergeevich Andrianov in 1892 in the Mit'kovki suburb.”

  • ID# 36-52-SSI-4
  • Size 13 1/8 x 10 7/8 in. (33.1 × 27.4 cm)
  • Age ca. Mid-19th century
  • Origin Vladimir Region, Russia. Old Believer workshop
  • Materials egg tempera on parcel gilt and gessoed wood
  • Price Price upon request
  • Orthodox Cross
New Arrival
Reliquary theca with relics of the Shroud Of Jesus Christ (Shroud of Turin)

Reliquary theca with relics of the Shroud Of Jesus Christ (Shroud of Turin)

Rare 18th-century silver glass-fronted theca containing five significant threads from the Holy Shroud of Jesus Christ also known as the Shroud of Turin. The relics are affixed to a gilded paper starburst on the red silk background, surrounded by gold and silver wire ornamentation, and titled in 18th-century bi-color ductus as De Sindone DNJC (from the Shroud of Our Lord Jesus Christ). Theca is secured on the back by a perfectly preserved seal of red Spanish wax bearing a clear imprint of the coat of arms of an unidentified Roman Catholic Bishop.

  • ID# 207-RSCR-1
  • Size 50 x 40 mm
  • Age ca. 18th century
  • Origin Italy
  • Materials silver, silvered brass, glass
  • Price $5,500
  • Orthodox Cross

Vatican documented reliquary theca with relics of the True Cross

Oval glass-fronted silver reliquary theca housing precious Relics from the Wood of the True Cross of Jesus Christ. The relic is affixed in a cruciform shape to a red silk background decorated with gilt silver wire ornamentation. On the back, under a protective cap, the theca is secured with a perfectly preserved seal of red Spanish wax bearing an imprint of a coat of arms of Monsignor Costantino Patrizi Naro (†1876), Dean of the College of Cardinals and the Vicar General of the Roman Curia. The relic is accompanied by an original matching authentics document issued and signed by Monsignor Patrizi Naro in 1869.

  • ID# 202-RSCR
  • Size 39 x 35 mm
  • Age ca. 1869
  • Origin Vatican
  • Materials Silver
  • Price Price upon request
  • Silver
  • Orthodox Cross

17th century Greek triptych of Holy Greatmartyr Demetrius of Thessaloniki with Archangels Michael & Gabriel

The triptych is executed on gold ground depicting in the central panel Holy Greatmartyr Demetrius on horseback dressed as a Roman soldier striking Satan underneath with walls of Thessaloniki behind them. The image is flanked on side panels by the full-figured depictions of Archangels Michael and Gabriel. The side panels close to a carved depiction of a double-headed Byzantine eagle. 

  • ID# 07-RSMIS-1
  • Size 12 x 10 1/2 in (30.5 x 26.5 cm)
  • Age ca. 17th century
  • Origin Greece
  • Materials Egg tempera on gilded and gessoed wood
  • Price $5,500
  • Orthodox Cross
New Arrival
Reliquary theca with relics of the Shroud Of Jesus Christ (Shroud of Turin)

Reliquary theca with relics of the Shroud Of Jesus Christ (Shroud of Turin)

Important 18th-century silver glass-fronted theca containing six significant threads from the Holy Shroud of Jesus Christ also known as the Shroud of Turin. The relics are affixed to a gilded paper starburst affixed to the gold silk background, surrounded by silver wire ornamentation, and titled on a fancy manuscript cedula label as De Linteo Sindone D. N. Jesu C. (from the Cloth of the Shroud of Our Lord Jesus Christ). Theca is secured on the back by a perfectly preserved seal of red Spanish wax bearing a clear imprint of the coat of arms of Fr. Enrique Laso de la Vega (†1729) Titular Bishop of Thaumacus (1728-1729).

  • ID# 208-RSCR-75
  • Size 39 x 34 mm
  • Age ca. first quarter of the 18th century
  • Origin Italy
  • Materials silver, glass
  • Price $5,000
  • Silver
  • Orthodox Cross

Documented theca with relics of St. Andrew, the First-Called Apostle

Oval silver glass-fronted theca housing the first-class ex ossibus relic of Saint Andrew, the Apostle. The relic is affixed to a silk background, surrounded by silver wire and paperolle ornamentation, and identified on a manuscript cedula label as S. And. Ap. (Saint Andrew, Apostle).  On the back,  the theca is secured by a seal of red Spanish wax with an imprint of a coat of arms of  Giorgio Maria de Lascaris C.R. (†1795), Titular Patriarch of Jerusalem (1762-1795) and consultant to the Congregation for Indulgences and Sacred Relics in the Roman Curia responsible he task of managing the granting of authentication to the relics. The theca is accompanied by the original matching authentics document issued and hand-signed by Patriarch de Lascaris in 1764, 

  • ID# 32-RSMBR-75
  • Size 27 x 23 mm
  • Age ca. 1764
  • Origin Italy
  • Materials silver, glass
  • Price $5,000
  • Silver
  • Orthodox Cross

Documented theca with relics of St. Matthew, Apostle & Evangelist

Oval silver glass-fronted theca housing substantial first-class ex ossibus relic of Saint Matthew, Apostle and Evangelist. The relic is affixed to a silk background and identified on a manuscript cedula label as S. Mattaei Ap. Ev.(Saint Matthew, Apostle [and] Evangelist).  On the back,  the theca is secured by a seal of red Spanish wax with an imprint of a coat of arms of  Giorgio Maria de Lascaris C.R. (†1795), Titular Patriarch of Jerusalem (1762-1795) and consultant to the Congregation for Indulgences and Sacred Relics in the Roman Curia responsible he task of managing the granting of authentication to the relics. The theca is accompanied by the original matching authentics document issued and hand-signed by Patriarch de Lascaris in 1764, 

  • ID# 35-RSMBR-75
  • Size 37 x 35 mm
  • Age ca. 1764
  • Origin Italy
  • Materials silver, glass
  • Price $5,000
  • Silver
  • Orthodox Cross

Documented theca with relics of St. James the Greater, the Apostle

Oval silver glass-fronted theca housing substantial first-class ex ossibus relic of Saint James the Greater, the Apostle. The relic is affixed to a silk background, surrounded by paperolle and twisted wire ornamentation and identified on a manuscript cedula label as S. Simoni Ap. (Saint Simon, Apostle).  On the back,  the theca is secured by a seal of red Spanish wax with an imprint of a coat of arms of  Giorgio Maria de Lascaris C.R. (†1795), Titular Patriarch of Jerusalem (1762-1795) and consultant to the Congregation for Indulgences and Sacred Relics in the Roman Curia responsible he task of managing the granting of authentication to the relics. The theca is accompanied by the original matching authentics document issued and hand-signed by Patriarch de Lascaris in 1764, 

  • ID# 34-RSMBR-75
  • Size 34 x 32 mm
  • Age ca. 1764
  • Origin Italy
  • Materials Silver, glass
  • Price $4,500
  • Silver
  • Orthodox Cross

Documented theca with relics of St. James the Less, the Apostle

Oval silver glass-fronted theca housing substantial first-class ex ossibus relic of Saint James the Less, Apostle. The relic is affixed to a silk background, surrounder by silver wire and gilt paperolle ornamentation, and identified on a manuscript cedula label as S. Jacobi Min. A. (Saint James the Less, Apostle).  On the back,  the theca is secured by a seal of red Spanish wax with an imprint of a coat of arms of  Giorgio Maria de Lascaris C.R. (†1795), Titular Patriarch of Jerusalem (1762-1795) and consultant to the Congregation for Indulgences and Sacred Relics in the Roman Curia responsible he task of managing the granting of authentication to the relics. The theca is accompanied by the original matching authentics document issued and hand-signed by Patriarch de Lascaris in 1764,  

  • ID# 33-RSMB-75
  • Size 28 x 26 mm
  • Age ca. 1764
  • Origin Italy
  • Materials silver, glass
  • Price $4,500
  • Silver
  • Orthodox Cross

Large theca with relics from the Wood of the True Cross of Jesus Christ

Large oval glass-fronted silver reliquary theca housing relics from the Holy Wood of the True Cross of Jesus Christ. The relics are affixed to a profusely decorated red silk background in a cruciform shape and identified on a paper cedula in the upper part as ex Lignum SS. Crucis. (from the Wood of the Most Holy Cross [of Our Lord Jesus Christ])On the back, under a protective cap, the theca is protected by a seal of red wax with a clear imprint of a coat of arms of a Catholic Cardinal

  • ID# 09-RSMB-45
  • Size 57 x 50 mm
  • Age ca. 1800, Italy
  • Materials brass
  • Price $3,750
  • Orthodox Cross

Diamond set gold reliquary theca with relics of the True Cross of Jesus Christ

Small gold theca containing significant particles from the Wood of the True Cross of Jesus Christ (Ex Ligno S. Crucis). The relics are affixed in a cruciform shape to the background of red silk and titled on a paper label. Theca is secured on the back with a perfectly preserved seal of red Spanish wax bearing an imprint of the coat of arms of Italian Archbishop.

The True Cross is the name for physical remnants which, by the Church tradition, are believed to be from the cross upon which Jesus was crucified. The Empress, the mother of Constantine, the first Christian Emperor of Rome, traveled to the Holy Land in 326-28, where she discovered the hiding place of three crosses that were believed to be used at the crucifixion of Jesus and of two thieves, St. Dismas and Gestas, executed with him, and that a miracle revealed which of the three was the True Cross. Fragments of the Cross were broken up, and the pieces were widely distributed; in 348, in one of his Catecheses, Cyril of Jerusalem remarked that the "whole earth is full of the relics of the Cross of Christ." Most of the very small relics of the True Cross in Europe came from Constantinople after the city was captured and sacked in 1204 during the Fourth Crusade. They were carved up by the present bishops and was divided with other very precious relics among the knights; who, after their return to the homeland, donated them to churches and monasteries.

  • ID# 42-DDCR-32 *
  • Size 17 mm in diameter x 17 mm deep
  • Age 20th century
  • Materials gold and diamond
  • Price $3,500
  • Silver
  • Orthodox Cross

Rare documented touch relic of the Holy Lance of Jesus Christ - the Spear of Destiny

Incredibly rare touch relic made from the silver object that touched the most powerful and mysterious Passion relic - The Holy Spear of Jesus also known as the True LanceThe reliquary is affixed to the original  authentics document dated 1758 and issued and hand-signed by Fr. Nicola Manciforte (†1762), Bishop of Ancona. 

The document written in Latin translates as:

"...that this silver tip of a Lance, tied to this [letter] with a ribbon of red color, and secured with a small Seal of ours impressed in Spanish Wax, touched the Very Sacred Point of the Lance with which the Side of the Savior was pierced while he was hanging on the Cross; that it exists amongst the rest of the quite famous Relics, by the possession of which our Church was distinguished as the Cathedral of St. Cyriacus; and that it rouses and fosters the piety of the Faithful wondrously well, and draws them to itself...."

The Holy Spear is also known as the Holy Lance is the name of the very spear that had pierced Christ’s side when he hanged on the cross. The first person to refer to this as the Holy Spear was pilgrim Antoninus of Piacenza in 570 AD. While describing the holy places of Jerusalem, he said that in the Basilica of Mount Zion, there was the crown of thorns which Our Lord was crowned and the spear which was used to strike Him in the side. It was rediscovered by the European army of the First Crusade in the city of Antioch on June 15th, 1098, but eventually ended up in the treasury of Constantinople. It is documented, that the holy relic of the True Lance passed through Ancona (an Italian city on the Adriatic side of the Peninsula), in 1492 on its way from Bayezid II the Turkish Sultan (whose father obtained it in 1451 during the conquest of Constantinople) to Pope Innocent VIII by the hand of Pierre d'Abusson, Grand Master of the Knights of Rhodes. The Pope placed it the Treasury of the old St. Peter's Basilica in Rome with the volto santo where it is held in great veneration. It is now in one of the great piers of the present St. Peter's Cathedral and in front of it, over the image of Longinus is inscribed "The Spear of Longinus, which Innocent VIII, the Chief Pointif received from Bayezid Sultan of the Turks; Urban VIII transferred it to a decorated shrine rasing an image and erecting the shrine beneath." (see for more information: Relics from the Crucifixion: Where They Went and How They Got There. By J. Charles Wall.)

Since there are no records of the Cathedral of Ancona retaining a part of the True Lance when it was passing through the town on its way to Rome, it is believed that the offered relic was obtained by melting a larger silver object that touched the tip of the True Lance in 1492. A number of analogous documented reliquaries are known, but their number is extremely small and they are in very high demand because of the impossibility of making new touch relics from the True Lance held in the Vatican after it was transferred to the pier of St. Peter's basilica in the 17th century.

  • ID# 129-RSCR-125
  • Age ca. 1758
  • Materials silver
  • Price Price upon request
  • Silver
  • Orthodox Cross

Fine Reliquary theca with relics of the Blessed Virgin Mary, St Joseph & St John the Baptist

Beautiful ornate glass-fronted silver reliquary theca dating to the 18th-century and housing relics Saint John the Baptist, the Blessed Virgin Mary, and St Joseph. The relics are affixed to a gold silk background and identified on paper cedulae labels. On the back, under a protective cap, the theca is secured with a perfectly preserved seal of red Spanish wax bearing an imprint of a coat of arms of a Roman Catholic bishop. 

  • ID# 05-RSCRM
  • Size 40 x 40 mm
  • Age ca. 18th century
  • Origin Italy
  • Materials Silver
  • Price $2,750
  • Silver
  • Orthodox Cross

Reliquary theca with relics of Saint Cosmas & Damian, the Unmercenary Healers & Patrons of Doctors

Oval glass-fronted brass reliquary theca housing relics of two Unmercenary healers: Saints Cosmas and Damian. The significant first-class ex ossibus (of the bone) relics are affixed to a red silk background and identified on a paper cedulae labels in as S. Cosmae Mart. / S Damiani Mar. On the back, the theca is protected by a seal of red wax with a clear imprint of a coat of arms of Fr. Giovanni Francesco Capelletti (†1831), Bishop of Ascoli Piceno (1806-1831). The theca comes in the original leather-bound case of issue. 

  • ID# 07-RSCR
  • Size 22 x 27 mm
  • Age ca. first quarter of the 19th century
  • Origin Italy
  • Materials brass
  • Price $2,750
  • Orthodox Cross

Russian Icon - 2 Saints: St. Anfimus, Bishop & Martyr and St. Feoktist Monk

Russian icon showing two Orthodox saints St. Anfimus, Bishop & St. Feoktist Monk depicted full-figured under a dove of the Holy Spirit on a gilt and intricately chased background. Dedication on the back in Russian dated 1914 to Abbess Sofia to commemorate 25th anniversary in position at the Orthodox convent. Significant because of inscription. 

  • ID# 01-23-243-SP6-135
  • Size 14 x 12 in (36 x 31 cm)
  • Age ca. 1914
  • Materials Egg tempera on gilt wood
  • Price Price upon request
  • Orthodox Cross

Russian Icon - The Lamentation (The Entombment of Christ)

Icon of the Lamentation (The Entombment of Christ) depicts the body of Christ clad in a lioncloth on the white burial shroud being placed on the stone of anointing. The Mother of God, two angels, and others regard the body and the empty cross is depicted on the background in a rocky landscape. While Greek iconography of the Lamentation tends towards emotionalism, Russian iconography gives a scene a transcendent peace. 

  • ID# 91-45-55-SP6-175
  • Size 17 1/3 x 14 1/2 in (44 x 37 cm)
  • Age ca. 1860's
  • Materials Egg tempera and gilding on gessoed wood
  • Price $1,500
  • Orthodox Cross

Russian Icon - Great Orthodox Feasts with Anastasis and Selected Saints

The icon depictes twelve principal feasts of the Orthodox church painted on the top and side registers and centered around Christ's Resurrection and Descent into the Hades. The Feasts are (from the top left corner - clockwise): the Nativity of The Virgin, Presentation of Mary at the Temple, the Old Testament Trinity, the Annunciation,  the Nativity of Christ, the Baptism of Christ, the Transfiguration of Christ, the Dormition Mother of God,  the Erection of the Cross, the Ascension of Christ, Entrance into Jerusalem,  and Presentation of Christ at the Temple.  On the bottom border selected saints are depicted: Saint John the Baptist, Saint Martyr Nikita, 4 saints and Saint Greatmartyr George the Victorybearer. 

  • ID# 100-045-017-SP6-135
  • Size 17 1/3 x 14 1/3 in (44 x 36 cm)
  • Age ca. 1900
  • Origin Provincial Russia
  • Materials Egg tempera on silvered and gessoed wood
  • Price $1,200
  • Orthodox Cross

Russian Icon - The Dormition of the Virgin Mary, St. George and 7 Selected Saints

The icon is depicting seven selected Orthodox Saints: St. Andrew the Apostle, St. Qeen Helena, St. Nicholas of Myra, St. Maria, St. Stephen the Protomartyr, St. John the Theologian and St. Paraskevi the Friday surmounted by vignette images depicting the Dormition of the Most Holy Mother of God and Miracle of St George Slaying the Dragon

  • ID# 166-027-069-SP7-7
  • Size 13 3/4 x 11 3/4 in (35 x 30 cm)
  • Age ca. 1890s
  • Materials Egg tempera on gessoed wood
  • Price $1,200
  • Silver
  • Orthodox Cross

Russian Icon - Christ Pantocrator

Christ Pantocrator refers to a specific depiction of Christ. The most common translation of Pantocrator is "Almighty" or "All-powerful". In this understanding, Pantocrator is a compound word formed from the Greek words for "all" and the noun "strength" (κρατος). This is often understood in terms of potential power; i.e., ability to do anything, omnipotence. The iconic image of Christ Pantocrator was one of the first images of Christ developed in the Early Christian Church and remains a central icon of the Eastern Orthodox Church. In the half-length image, Christ holds the Gospels in his left hand and makes the gesture of blessing with his right.

The Gospels are opened on Matthew 11:28 “Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

  • ID# 117-104-090-SP7-2
  • Size 18 x 14 1/2 in (46 x 37 cm)
  • Age ca. 1890s
  • Materials Egg tempera on tooled and gessoed wood
  • Price $1000
  • Orthodox Cross

Russian Icon - The Resurrection & Orthodox Feasts

In the center, the icon depicts Christ's Descent into the Hades and the feast of the Resurrection, called Pascha (Easter), is the greatest of the feasts of the Eastern Orthodox Church. In addition, there are other Twelve Great Feasts: 1. Nativity of the Most Holy Mother of God 2. the Exaltation of the Cross 3. the Presentation of the Theotokos 4. the Nativity of Christ/Christmas 5. the Baptism of Christ - Theophany, also called Epiphany 6. the Presentation of Jesus at the Temple 7. the Annunciation 8. the Entry into Jerusalem 9. the Ascension of Christ 10. Pentecost 11. the Transfiguration 12 .the Dormition of the Most Holy Mother of God.

Four additional images depicted on the icon are: the New Testament Trinity, Raising of Lazarus, Head of St. John the Baptist, and Beheading of St. John the Baptist.

  • ID# 221-097-100-SP7-4
  • Size 20 x 18 in (51 x 46 cm)
  • Age ca. 1900
  • Materials Egg tempera on gessoed wood
  • Price $1,000
  • Orthodox Cross

Russian Icon - Christ Pantocrator

Christ Pantocrator refers to a specific depiction of Christ. The most common translation of Pantocrator is "Almighty" or "All-powerful". In this understanding, Pantocrator is a compound word formed from the Greek words for "all" and the noun "strength" (κρατος). This is often understood in terms of potential power; i.e., ability to do anything, omnipotence. The iconic image of Christ Pantocrator was one of the first images of Christ developed in the Early Christian Church and remains a central icon of the Eastern Orthodox Church. In the half-length image, Christ holds the Gospels in his left hand and makes the gesture of blessing with his right.

The Gospels are opened on Matthew 11:28 “Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

  • ID# 147-105-094-SP7-15
  • Size 13 3/4 x 11 3/4 in (35 x 30 cm)
  • Age ca. 1890s
  • Origin Icon painting village of Kholui
  • Materials Egg tempera on silvered, tooled, and gessoed wood
  • Price $975
  • Orthodox Cross

Russian icon - The Descent of Christ into the Hades

Christ is shown in his descent into Hades, breaking down the doors of Hell, binding Satan and rescuing Adam and Eve. Behind them follow the kings, the prophets, and the righteous of the Old Testament,  David and Solomon wearing the crowns, John the Baptist with the scroll in hand. Feast day: Easter Sunday.

  • ID# 12-51-69-SP6-110
  • Size 13 1/2 x 11 in (34 x 28 cm)
  • Age ca. 1890's
  • Origin Icon painting village of Kholui
  • Materials Egg tempera on gessoed wood
  • Price $950
  • Orthodox Cross

Russian Icon - Christ Enthroned with the Virgin Mary and St. John the Baptist

The icon is depicting Christ Enthroned flanked by his mother, the Virgin Mary and Saint John the Baptist forming the Orthodox Deisis. 

  • ID# 28-052-076-SP6-11
  • Size 11 x 8 in (28 x 20 cm)
  • Age ca. 1890s
  • Origin Western Russia
  • Materials Oil on gessoed wood
  • Price $950
  • Orthodox Cross

Russian Icon - St John the Baptist

Saint John the Baptist was a Jewish itinerant preacher in the early first century AD who is revered as a major religious figure in Christianity, Islam, and other faiths. He is called a prophet by all of these traditions, and is honored as a saint in many Christian traditions. The Orthodox faithful believe that John was the last of the Old Testament prophets, thus serving as a bridge between that period of revelation and the New Covenant. They also teach that, following his death, John descended into Hades and there once more preached that Jesus the Messiah was coming, so he was the Forerunner of Christ in death as he had been in life. Eastern Orthodox churches will often have an icon of St. John the Baptist in a place of honor on the iconostasis, and he is frequently mentioned during the Divine Services. Every Tuesday throughout the year is dedicated to his memory.

  • ID# 150-105-105-SP7-15
  • Size 11 3/4 x 10 1/4 in (30 x 26 cm)
  • Age ca. 1890s
  • Materials Egg tempera on silvered, tooled, and gessoed wood
  • Price $950
  • Orthodox Cross

Russian Icon - Saint Unmercenary Healers Cosmas & Damianus, patrons of doctors

Saints Cosmas and Damian (Greek: Κοσμάς και Δαμιανός) (also written Kosmas and Damianos) (died ca. 287) were twin brothers, physicians, and early Christian martyrs born in Cilicia, part of today's Turkey. They practiced their profession in the seaport of Ayas, Adana, then in the Roman province of Syria. Accepting no payment for their services led to them being named "Ανάργυροι" (Unmercenary); it has been said that, by this, they attracted many to the Christian faith.

Traditionally, Saints Cosmas and Damian are the holy patrons of doctors and persons of Medical profession.

  • ID# 161-023-215-SP7-7
  • Size 12 1/4 x 10 1/4 in (31 x 26 cm)
  • Age ca. 1890s
  • Materials Oil on gessoed wood
  • Price $950
  • Orthodox Cross

Russian Icon - The Holy Mandylion (Image of Jesus Christ not made by human hands)

The icon type of The Holy Mandylion represents the very first not made by human hands image of the Savior miraculously created by Christ himself. According to the Christian tradition, King Abgar of Edessa wrote to Jesus, asking him to come cure him of an illness. Instead, one of the seventy disciples, Thaddeus, is said to have come to Edessa, bearing the words and an image of Jesus, by the virtues of which the king was miraculously healed. To create his likeness, Jesus used a face-cloth which miraculously bore the image of His face. This image of Christ preserved on the face cloth was kept and venerated in Edessa, and became known as “The Holy Image of Edessa”, the “Holy Mandylion” (from Greek “face cloth”), or “The Image Not Made With Human Hands”. This iconographic type is widely used by both the Eastern and the Western Christian Churches. 

  • ID# 117-024-052-L60i4-90
  • Size 12 1/4 in x 10 1/4 in (31 cm x 26 cm)
  • Age ca. 1900, Central Russia
  • Materials Egg tempera on silvered, tooled, and gessoed wood
  • Price $900

Russian icon - The Protection of the Most Holy Mother of God

The Protection (Pokrov) of the Most Holy Mother of God is one of the most beloved Feast days on the Orthodox calendar commemorated on October 1 celebrating the appearance of the Virgin Mary in Constantinople in the 10th century at the time when the people in the city were threatened by the Barbarian invasion. Saint Andrew, the Holy Fool with his disciple Saint Epiphanius, and a group of people, saw the Mother of God, Saint John the Baptist, and several other Saints and Angels during a vigil in the Church of Blachernae, nearby the city gates. The Mother of God approached the center of the church, knelt down and remained in prayer for a long time with her face drowned in tears. Then she took her veil off and spread it over the people as a sign of protection. After the appearance of the Mother of God, the danger was averted and the city was spared from bloodshed and suffering.  On the icon, the Theotokos is depicted standing on a cloud in aureola of green light holding her veil .

  • ID# 200-077-056-SP6-1
  • Size 13 3/4 x 12 1/4 in (35 x 31 cm)
  • Age ca. 1900
  • Materials Egg tempera and gilding on gessoed wood
  • Price $900
  • Orthodox Cross

Russian 4-Panel Folding Skladen Travel Icon of The Twelve Principal Feasts and Miracle-working Madonnas

Metal icon of four-folding panels depicting “Twelve Principal Orthodox Feasts and Miracle-working Madonnas.”

  • ID# 03-DDPbA-22
  • Size 16 cm x 36 cm (6 1/4 in x 14 1/2 in)
  • Age ca. 19th century Moscow Region
  • Materials brass and 3-color enamel
  • Price $850

Russian Icon - Christ Pantocrator

The icon depicts realistically rendered Christ as Pantocrator ( "Almighty" or "All-powerful") - pictured half-figured blessing with his right hand while holding an Orb and a Cross in his left hand

  • ID# 189-052-075-SP6-1
  • Size 12 1/2 x 10 1/2 in (32 x 27 cm)
  • Age ca. 1900
  • Materials Oil on gessoed wood
  • Price $850
  • Orthodox Cross

Russian icon - The New Testament Trinity

The unusual iconography depicting a child led to Heaven by two angels with the New Testament Trinity in the upper part of the icon. 

  • ID# 13-51-71-SP6-90
  • Size 11 1/2 x 9 3/4 in (29 x 25 cm)
  • Age ca. 1910s
  • Materials Oil on gessoed wood
  • Price $800
  • Orthodox Cross

Reliquary theca with first-class relics of Saint Vincent de Paul

Oval glass-fronted silver reliquary theca housing the first-class relics of Saint Vincent de Paul. The relic is affixed to a gold silk background and identified on a typographic cedula label as S. Vincent de P. On the back, under a protective cap with a portrait of Saint Vincent de Paul, the theca is secured by a perfectly preserved seal of red Spanish wax with a clear imprint of a coat of arms of the Congregation of the Mission, Roman Catholic society of the Apostolic life founded by St. Vincent de Paul. The theca comes in the original leather bound case of issue.

  • ID# 24-RSCRM
  • Size 35 x 30 mm
  • Age ca. 1900
  • Origin Italy
  • Materials silver
  • Price $775
  • Silver
New Arrival
Reliquary theca with relics of the True Cross of Jesus Christ

Reliquary theca with relics of the True Cross of Jesus Christ

Oval glass-fronted silver theca housing particle relic from the Wood of the True Cross of Jesus Christ. The relics are affixed in a cruciform shape to a red silk background surrounded by silver wire ornamentation. On the back,  the theca is secured by a seal of red Spanish wax with an imprint of a coat of arms of a Roman Catholic Cardinal.

  • ID# 21-RSCR40-11
  • Size 26 x 22 mm
  • Age ca. 19th century
  • Origin Italy
  • Materials silver, glass
  • Price $750
  • Silver
  • Orthodox Cross

Russian Icon - The Crucifixion of Christ

Christ is depicted on the cross flanked by mourning-Virgin Mary and St. Martha the left side; and on the right side : St. John the Theologian and St. Martyr Longinus the Centurion. Behind Christ are the towers of Jerusalem and above him is God the Father. Two family saints are depicted on vertical borders. 

  • ID# 18-61-68-SP6-85
  • Size 10 1/4 x 8 1/3 in (26 x 21)
  • Age ca. 1890
  • Materials Egg tempera on silvered and gessoed wood
  • Price $750
  • Orthodox Cross

Russian Icon - The Holy Mandylion - Image of Christ Not Made by Human Hands

The icon type of The Holy Mandylion represents the very first not made by human hands image of the Savior miraculously created by Christ himself. According to the Christian tradition, King Abgar of Edessa wrote to Jesus, asking him to come cure him of an illness. Instead, one of the seventy disciples, Thaddeus, is said to have come to Edessa, bearing the words and an image of Jesus, by the virtues of which the king was miraculously healed. To create his likeness, Jesus used a face-cloth which miraculously bore the image of His face. This image of Christ preserved on the face cloth was kept and venerated in Edessa, and became known as “The Holy Image of Edessa”, the “Holy Mandylion” (from Greek “face cloth”), or “The Image Not Made With Human Hands”. This iconographic type is widely used by both the Eastern and the Western Christian Churches.

  • ID# 202-077-065-SP6-85
  • Size 10 1/4 x 8 1/3 in (26 x 21)
  • Age ca. 1900
  • Origin Provincial Russia
  • Materials Oil on gessoed wood
  • Price $750
  • Orthodox Cross

Russian Icon - St. Nicholas the Wonderworker of Myra

Saint Nicholas of Myra  (†343), was a historic 4th-century Saint and Greek Bishop of Myra. Because of the many miracles attributed to his intercession, he is also known as Nicholas the Wonderworker . He had a reputation for secret gift-giving, such as putting coins in the shoes of those who left them out for him, and thus became the model for Santa Claus. His reputation evolved among the faithful, as was common for early Christian saints. Saint Nicholas is the patron Saint of sailors, merchants, archers, thieves, children, and students in Greece, Belgium, France, Romania, Bulgaria, Georgia, Albania, Russia, the Republic of Macedonia, Slovakia, Serbia, and Montenegro. He is also the patron saint of Aberdeen, Amsterdam, Barranquilla, Bari, Beit Jala, Fribourg, Huguenots, Kozani, Liverpool, Paternopoli, Sassari, Siggiewi, and Lorraine. His feast day is 6 December.

  • ID# 145-046-099-SP6-85
  • Size 8 3/4 x 6 3/4 in (22 x 17 cm)
  • Age ca. 1900
  • Materials Egg tempera on gilt, tooled, and gessoed wood
  • Price $750
  • Orthodox Cross

Russian icon - The Virgin Mary

  • ID# 46-103-016-SP7-1
  • Size 15 1/2 x 12 1/4 in (39 x 31 cm)
  • Age ca. 1900
  • Materials Oil on gessoed wood
  • Price $750
  • Orthodox Cross

Staurotheke Icon with the Crucifixion, Mourners & Border Saints

  • ID# 37-066-110-SP7-2
  • Size 13 3/4 x 12 1/4 in (35 x 31 cm)
  • Age ca. 1890s
  • Materials Egg tempera on gilt wood with brass insert
  • Price $725
  • Orthodox Cross

Russian icon - The Resurrection of Christ

The icon depicts of the Resurrection of Christ. 

  • ID# 186-047-016-SP6-8
  • Size 10 1/4 x 8 3/4 in (26 x 21)
  • Age ca. 1890s
  • Materials Egg tempera on gessoed wood
  • Price $700
  • Orthodox Cross

Russian Icon - St. Nicholas the Wonderworker of Myra

Saint Nicholas of Myra  (†343), was a historic 4th-century Saint and Greek Bishop of Myra. Because of the many miracles attributed to his intercession, he is also known as Nicholas the Wonderworker. He had a reputation for secret gift-giving, such as putting coins in the shoes of those who left them out for him, and thus became the model for Santa Claus. His reputation evolved among the faithful, as was common for early Christian saints. Saint Nicholas is the patron Saint of sailors, merchants, archers, thieves, children, and students in Greece, Belgium, France, Romania, Bulgaria, Georgia, Albania, Russia, the Republic of Macedonia, Slovakia, Serbia, and Montenegro. He is also the patron saint of Aberdeen, Amsterdam, Barranquilla, Bari, Beit Jala, Fribourg, Huguenots, Kozani, Liverpool, Paternopoli, Sassari, Siggiewi, and Lorraine. His feast day is 6 December.

  • ID# 174-027-052-SP6-8
  • Size 8 3/4 x 6 3/7 in (22 x 17cm)
  • Age ca. 1900
  • Materials Egg tempera on silvered, tooled, and gessoed wood
  • Price $700
  • Orthodox Cross

Russian Icon - The Descent of Christ into the Hades

Christ is shown in his Descent into Hades, breaking down the doors of Hell, binding Satan and rescuing Adam and Eve. Behind them follow the kings, the prophets, and the righteous of the Old Testament,  Feast day: Easter Sunday.

  • ID# 196-076-032-SP6-75
  • Size 14 1/4 x 11 in (36 x 28 cm)
  • Age ca. 1900
  • Origin Icon painting village of Kholui
  • Materials Egg tempera on gessoed wood
  • Price $675
  • Orthodox Cross

Russian 3-Panel Folding Skladen Travel Icon of “The Twelve Principal Feasts.”

Cast brass travel icon of three-folding panels depicting “The Twelve Principal Feasts.”

  • ID# 105-DDMA2-11
  • Size 11 cm x 30 cm (4 1/2 in x 11 3/4 in)
  • Age ca. 19th century Moscow Region
  • Materials brass
  • Price $650

Russian Icon - Christ Pantocrator in brass oklad cover & kiot shadow frame

Christ Pantocrator refers to a specific depiction of Christ. The most common translation of Pantocrator is "Almighty" or "All-powerful". In this understanding, Pantocrator is a compound word formed from the Greek words for "all" and the noun "strength" (κρατος). This is often understood in terms of potential power; i.e., ability to do anything, omnipotence. The iconic image of Christ Pantocrator was one of the first images of Christ developed in the Early Christian Church and remains a central icon of the Eastern Orthodox Church. In the half-length image, Christ holds the Gospels in his left hand and makes the gesture of blessing with his right.

  • ID# 05-047-088-SP7-1
  • Size 11 1/2 x 8 1/2 in (29 x 21 cm)
  • Age ca. 1900
  • Materials Oil on wood in brass oklad in glass fronted shadow frame
  • Price $625
  • Orthodox Cross

Russian icon - St. Mark, the Evangelist

Half-lenght portrait of St. Mark the Evangelist from the Royal doors of the Iconostasis.

  • ID# 52-106-068-SP7-1
  • Size 8 3/4 in (22 cm) across
  • Age ca. 1880's
  • Materials Oil on gessoed wood
  • Price $525
  • Silver
  • Orthodox Cross

The web site showing only a sample of our entire inventory, if you don't see what you are looking for, please contact us.

guarantee seal

Learn about our Unconditional Lifetime Guarantee and No Questions Asked 30-day return policy.

SAVE 5% from your first purchase when you subscribe to receive our infrequent mailings with updates on new arrivals, exclusive offers, and fascinating stories on relevant subjects. 

Please wait