Home>>Catholic Relics

Documented reliquary with relics of the True Cross of Jesus Christ

Substantial oval glass-fronted silvered metal reliquary theca housing relics from the Holy Wood of the True Cross of Jesus Christ. The relics are affixed to a red silk background in a cruciform shape and identified on a paper cedula in the upper part as D.N.J.C. (Domini Nostri Jesus Christi  - Our Lord Jesus Christ)On the back, under protective cap, the theca is protected by a seal of red wax with a clear imprint of a coat of arms of fr. Giovanni Tommaso Neuschel (†) in a capacity of Bishop of Parma (1843 - 1852)The reliquary is accompanied by a matching authentics document issued and signed by fr. Neuschel in 1845. 

The True Cross is the name for physical remnants which, by the Church tradition, are believed to be from the cross upon which Jesus was crucified. The Empress Helena, mother of Constantine, the first Christian Emperor of Rome, travelled to the Holy Land in 326–28, where she discovered the hiding place of three crosses that were believed to be used at the crucifixion of Jesus and of two thieves, St. Dismas and Gestas, executed with him, and a miracle revealed which of the three was the True Cross. Fragments of the Cross were broken up, and the pieces were widely distributed; in 348, in one of his Catecheses, Cyril of Jerusalem remarked that the "whole earth is full of the relics of the Cross of Christ." Most of the very small relics of the True Cross in Europe came from Constantinople after the city was captured and sacked in 1204 during the Fourth Crusade. They were carved up by the present bishops and divided with other very precious relics among the knights; who, after their return to the homeland, donated them to churches and monasteries.

Additional Info

  • ID#: 15-RSMB-125
  • Size: 46 x 36 mm
  • Age: ca. 1845, Parma, Italy
  • Price: $6,750
  • Orthodox Cross
0
0
0
s2sdefault