small head
Home>>Catholic Relics

Documented theca with relics of St. Bernard of Clairvaux, O. Cist., Doctor of Church

18th century oval glass-fronted silver reliquary theca decorated on a perimeter by silver filigree wire and housing substantial first-class ex ossibus  (of the bone) relic of Saint Bernard of Clairvaux, O.Cist. The relic is affixed to a gold silk background and identified on a manuscript cedulae as Ex Oss. S. Bernardi Ab. (of the bone of Sant Bernard, Abbott). On the back, the theca is secured with perfectly preserved seal of red Spanish wax bearing an imprint of a coat of arms of Fr. Tiberio Borghese (†1792), Archbishop of Siena (1772-1792). It is accompanied by original matching authentics document issued by Fr. Borghese in 1783. 

Saint Bernard of Clairvaux, O.Cist († 1153) was a French abbot and the primary reformer for the Cistercian order known for his contemplative mysticism, his devotion to Mary, and his reputation for eloquence. He was the first Cistercian monk placed on the calendar of saints after pope Alexander III canonized him in 1174. Pope Pius VIII bestowed on him the title Doctor of the Church and labeled him "Mellifluous Doctor" for his eloquence. He is a patron of Cistercians, Burgundy, beekeepers, candlemakers, Gibraltar, Algeciras, Queens' College, Cambridge, Speyer Cathedral, Knights Templar.

Additional Info

  • ID#: 176-RSCR-2
  • Size: 50 x 40 mm
  • Age: ca. 1783
  • Origin: Siena, Italy
  • Materials: silver
  • Price: SOLD!
  • Silver
0
0
0
s2sdefault