small head
Home>>Catholic Relics

Documented theca with relics of St Jerome, Doctor of the Church, Patron of Scholars

Mid-18th century oval glass-fronted silver reliquary theca housing substantial first-class ex ossibus  (of the bone) relic of Saint Jerome, Doctor of the ChurchThe relic is affixed to a salmon-colored silk background decorated with fancy cutouts and silver cord and identified on a manuscript cedulae as S. Hieronimi D. (Saint Jerome, Doctor of the Church ). On the back, the theca is secured with perfectly preserved seal of red Spanish wax bearing an imprint of a coat of arms of Fr. Francesco Guidi (†1778) Archbishop of Pisa (1734-1778). It is accompanied by original matching authentics document issued by Fr.Guidi in 1750. 

Saint Jerome († 420) was a priest, confessor, theologian and historian, who became a Doctor of the Church. He is best known for his translation of most of the Bible into Latin and he focused his attention to the lives of women and identified how a woman devoted to Jesus should live her life. He is recognised as a saint by the Roman Catholic Church, the Eastern Orthodox Church, the Lutheran Church, and the Church of England. He is a patron of archeologists; archivists; Bible scholars; librarians; libraries; school children; students; and translators.

Additional Info

  • ID#: 160-RSCR-35
  • Size: 37 x 32 mm
  • Age: ca. 1750
  • Origin: Pisa, Italy
  • Materials: silver
  • Price: $2,950
  • Silver
  • Orthodox Cross
0
0
0
s2sdefault