small head
Home>>Catholic Relics

Documented reliquary with important relic from the Wood of the True Cross of Jesus

New Arrival
Documented reliquary with important relic from the Wood of the True Cross of Jesus

Spectacular Baroque glass-fronted silver reliquary decorated with silver filigree wire ornamentation and housing significant relic from the Wood of the True Cross of Jesus Christ. The substantial relic is affixed to a light blue silk background decorated with elaborate gilt paperolle. On the back, under a protective cap, the theca is secured with a perfectly preserved seal of red Spanish wax bearing an imprint of a coat of arms of Fr. Giuseppe Bartolomeo Menocchio, O.E.S.A. (1741- 1823), Titular Bishop of Porphyreon and Sacristan of His Holiness Pope Pius VII. The relic is accompanied by the original matching authentics document issued and signed by Fr. Menocchio in 1807. This item is suitable for both private and public veneration by any Christian denomination. 

The True Cross is the name for physical remnants which, by the Church tradition, are believed to be from the cross upon which Jesus was crucified. Empress Helena, the mother of Constantine, the first Christian Emperor of Rome, traveled to the Holy Land in 326–28, where she discovered the hiding place of three crosses that were believed to be used at the crucifixion of Jesus and of two thieves, St. Dismas and Gestas, executed with him, and a miracle revealed which of the three was the True Cross. Fragments of the Cross were broken up, and the pieces were widely distributed; in 348, in one of his Catecheses, Cyril of Jerusalem remarked that the "whole earth is full of the relics of the Cross of Christ." Most of the very small relics of the True Cross in Europe came from Constantinople after the city was captured and sacked in 1204 during the Fourth Crusade. They were carved up by the present bishops and divided with other very precious relics.


 Translation of the authentics document:

  • FATHER JOSEPH BARTHOLOMEW MENOCHIO [1741-1823]
    Order of Hermits of St. Augustine
    By the grace of God and the Apostolic See
    Bishop of Porphyreon
    Prefect of the Apostolic Shrine
  • Domestic Prelate of Our Most Holy Lord [the Pope] and Assistant to the Pontifical See.

To all and each who will inspect our [document] we make a sure pact and attest, just as we have for many presented sacred relics, that we recognize them as picked out from authentic places, with legitimate documentation, and confirmed by seal; from these [relics] we have removed a sacred piece of the Most Holy Cross of Our Lord Jesus Christ, which in reverence we have placed in a silver theca, oval in shape, guarded by a single pane of glass [and] bound on the back by a cord of true silk, red in color, secured by the impression of our seal in red Spanish wax. We have given said Holy Relic as a gift with the permission to keep it among yourselves, to give it on to others, and to exhibit publicly in whatever church, oratory, or chapel for the adoration of the Faithful, and for the greater glory of God, Greatest and Best, and the veneration and worship of His Saints. Against the promise of these things, etc. Given in Rome on this day, February 11, 1807.For no reward but thanks,

A. F. Joseph Bartholomeo, Bishop of Porphyreon

Additional Info

  • ID#: 197-RSCR-23
  • Size: 100 x 70 mm
  • Age: ca. 1807
  • Origin: Vatican
  • Materials: silver
  • Price: Price upon request
  • Silver
  • Orthodox Cross
0
0
0
s2sdefault