small head
Home>>Catholic Relics

Diamond set gold reliquary theca with relics of the True Cross of Jesus Christ

Small gold theca containing significant particles from the Wood of the True Cross of Jesus Christ (Ex Ligno S. Crucis). The relics are affixed in a cruciform shape to the background of red silk and titled on a paper label. Theca is secured on the back with a perfectly preserved seal of red Spanish wax bearing an imprint of the coat of arms of Italian Archbishop.

The True Cross is the name for physical remnants which, by the Church tradition, are believed to be from the cross upon which Jesus was crucified. The Empress, the mother of Constantine, the first Christian Emperor of Rome, traveled to the Holy Land in 326-28, where she discovered the hiding place of three crosses that were believed to be used at the crucifixion of Jesus and of two thieves, St. Dismas and Gestas, executed with him, and that a miracle revealed which of the three was the True Cross. Fragments of the Cross were broken up, and the pieces were widely distributed; in 348, in one of his Catecheses, Cyril of Jerusalem remarked that the "whole earth is full of the relics of the Cross of Christ." Most of the very small relics of the True Cross in Europe came from Constantinople after the city was captured and sacked in 1204 during the Fourth Crusade. They were carved up by the present bishops and was divided with other very precious relics among the knights; who, after their return to the homeland, donated them to churches and monasteries.

Additional Info

  • ID#: 42-DDCR-32 *
  • Size: 17 mm in diameter x 17 mm deep
  • Age: 20th century
  • Materials: gold and diamond
  • Price: $3,500
  • Silver
  • Orthodox Cross
0
0
0
s2sdefault

Media