small head
Home>>Catholic Relics

Reliquary theca with relics of the Holy Martyrs of Gorkum

Round silver glass-fronted reliquary theca dating to 1920's housing first class ex ossibus (from the bone) relics of the Martyrs of Gorkum. The relics are affixed to a red silk background and identified on a typographic cedula as Ss. Mm. Gorg. (The Holy Martyrs of Gorkum). On the back, under a protective cap, the theca is protected by a seal of red wax with a hardly visible imprint of a coat of arms of the Order of Friars Minor Capuchin sealed by Fr. Anthony M. Santarelli, Postulator General of the Order in 1920's responsible for a cause for beatification and canonization through the judicial processes required by the Roman Catholic Church.

The Martyrs of Gorkum (Dutch: Martelaren van Gorcum) were a group of 19 Dutch Catholic clerics and friars who were hanged on 9 July 1572 in the town of Brielle by militant Dutch Calvinists during the 16th century religious wars. Many miracles have been attributed to the intercession of the Gorkum martyrs, especially the curing of hernias. The beatification of the martyrs took place on 14 November 1675, and their canonization on 29 June 1867.  For many years the place of their martyrdom in Brielle has been the scene of numerous pilgrimages and processions. The reliquary of their remains is now enshrined in the Church of Saint Nicholas, Brussels, Belgium.

Additional Info

  • ID#: 34-RSABR-2
  • Size: 30 mm in diameter
  • Age: ca. 1920's
  • Materials: silver
  • Price: $375
  • Silver
0
0
0
s2sdefault