small head
Home>>Catholic Relics

Theca with first-class relics of St Bernard of Clairvaux, Abbot & Doctor of the Church

Round glass-fronted reliquary theca housing first-class ex ossibus (from the bone) relics of Saint Bernard of Clairvaux. The relics are affixed to a red silk background, surrounded by gilt paperoles and twisted silver wire ornamentation and identified on a paper cedula label as S. Bernardi, Ab. D. (Saint Bernard, Abbot & Doctor of the Church)On the back, under protective cap, the theca is secured by a seal of red wax with a perfectly preserved imprint of a coat of arms of Cardinal Basilio Pompilj (†1931), Vicar General of Rome (1913-1931).

 Saint Bernard of Clairvaux, O.Cist († 1153) was a French abbot and the primary reformer for the Cistercian order known for his contemplative mysticism, his devotion to Mary, and his reputation for eloquence. He was the first Cistercian monk placed on the calendar of saints after pope Alexander III canonized him in 1174. Pope Pius VIII bestowed on him the title Doctor of the Church and labeled him "Mellifluous Doctor" for his eloquence. He is a patron of Cistercians, Burgundy, beekeepers, candlemakers, Gibraltar, Algeciras, Queens' College, Cambridge, Speyer Cathedral, Knights Templar.

Additional Info

  • ID#: 94-RSABR-25
  • Size: 28 mm in diameter
  • Age: ca. 1927 dated
  • Origin: Vatican
  • Price: SOLD!
  • Orthodox Cross
0
0
0
s2sdefault