small head
Home>>Catholic Relics

Reliquary theca with relics from the Chemise, (Sancta Camisia) of the Blessed Virgin Mary

New Arrival
Reliquary theca with relics from the Chemise, (Sancta Camisia) of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Opulent glass-fronted silver and bronze reliquary theca in a shape of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, richly decorated by imitation diamonds and intricately engraved detail, housing substantial ex Subucula  (from the Holy Chemise) relic of the Blessed Virgin Mary.  The relic is affixed to a gilt starburst on a red silk background decorated by gilt silver cord ornamentation and identified on a fancy manuscript cedula label as Ex Subucula B-mae. M.V. (From the Holy CHemise of the Blessed Virgin Mary). On the back, the theca is secured with a perfectly preserved seal of red Spanish wax bearing an imprint of a coat of arms of Father Giuseppe Gaetano Incontri (†), Bishop of Volterra (1796-1848)

According to tradition, La Sainte Chemise, often bashfully translated into English as the Holy Tunic, was the undergarment that the Virgin Mary was believed to have been wearing while she gave birth to the baby Jesus. The ecclesiastics emphasized that she had worn it next to her bare skin and it aroused fascinated attention. It was said to have been given to the Emperor Charlemagne by the Empress Irene of Byzantium, who wanted to win favor with him, and presented to Chartres by his grandson Charles the Bald in 876. During the French Revolution, the Holy Chemise was taken away and torn to pieces, but a part of it was recovered afterward is kept in the ​Chartres ​cathedral. 

Additional Info

  • ID#: 24-RSCR-45
  • Size: 85 x 75 mm
  • Age: ca. first half of the 19th century
  • Origin: Tuscany, Italy
  • Materials: silver, bronze, crystal
  • Price: Price upon request
  • Silver
  • Orthodox Cross
0
0
0
s2sdefault